1946: The Birth of Medical Associates
Medical Associates originated in February 1946 when Dr Gerald L. Smith opened an office for the practice of Medicine and Surgery at 3915 East Hastings Street, North Burnaby, BC.
In July 1946, Dr John F. Arthur joined Dr Smith in a partnership. They had been roommates for a brief period in 1935 while at medical college in Winnipeg and had met again in Vancouver in 1940 when Dr Smith examined Dr Arthur at a recruiting centre for entry as a Service Medical Officer in the Canadian Military. The two had been in touch frequently during the war when they were both Service Medical Officers in the R.C.A.F.